Signup for our emails
Mountain lion Puma concolor
ESA status: none
Conserving these reclusive golden cats has long been a priority for WildEarth Guardians, with our focus on eliminating or greatly reducing hunting quotas set by state wildlife agencies and the game commissions that oversee them. In the past we instituted new policies to educate hunters about the need to protect lactating females to ensure young kittens aren’t abandoned. We’re now fighting a proposal to allow trapping of cougars in New Mexico. Ultimately we believe we need new state governance structures to ensure that these rare but widespread animals are treated with respect and awe instead of fear and hatred.
- Press Releases
- June 25, 2009 - "Conservation Groups Kick-Off Mountain Lion Presentation"
- November 27, 2009 - "Group Calls for End to the War on Wildlife"
- August 27, 2010 - “Game & Fish Proposes Radical Killing Quotas for Cougars & Bears”
- November 11, 2011 - "Mountain Lion Mothers & Kittens a Little Safer Today"
- July 20, 2012 - "'Cougars of Colorado' Presentations"
- May 1, 2015 - "Conservation Groups Ask New Mexico Game Commission to Oppose Cougar Trapping Proposal"
- August 3, 2015 - "Wildlife Services' Wildlife Killing Program Dealt Blow By Federal Appeals Court"
- June 21, 2016 - “Feds Spent Millions of Public Dollars to Kill Over 1.6 Million Native Animals in 2015”
- January 20, 2017 -"Colorado Parks and Wildlife Sued Over Planned Cougar and Bear Killing"
- Related Campaigns