Signup for our emails
Coyote Canis latrans
ESA status: none
We’re challenging state-authorized and privately held coyote killing contests in Idaho and New Mexico through litigation and legislative advocacy. We intend to establish legal and policy precedents that we can apply in other states across the West. We likewise are working to de-fund the federal animal damage control agency (a.k.a. Wildlife Services) which aerial guns, traps, and poisons up to 90,000 coyotes annually. We recently won a major legal ruling, which will allow our lawsuit calling for a new updated nationwide environmental review of the program to proceed.
- Press Releases
- April 28, 2010 - "Head Texan Fearful of a Lone Coyote"
- November 9, 2010 - "Game Agency Defies Governor, Game Commission"
- February 17, 2011 - "Reckless Greenwood Village Coyote Killing Resumes"
- February 18, 2011 - "Hikers Encounter Coyote Crushed in Leg-hold Trap; Groups Call for Trapping Reforms"
- October 29, 2012 - "Conservationists Call to Shut Down New Coyote-Killing Contest"
- December 23, 2013 - "Conservationists Sue to Stop Wolf and Coyote Killing Contest on Public Lands"
- February 5, 2014 - "Conservation Groups Urge Governor Martinez to Remove Bidegain, Espinosa from New Mexico Game Commission"
- November 13, 2014 - "Conservationists Sue to Stop Wolf and Coyote Killing Contest"
- November 25, 2014 - "BLM Says No to Killing Contest on BLM Lands"
- December 18, 2014 - "Ban Sought on New Mexico's Wildlife-killing Contests"
- February 13, 2015 - "New Mexico Senate Passes Bill to Ban Coyote Killing Contests"
- June 21, 2016 - “Feds Spent Millions of Public Dollars to Kill Over 1.6 Million Native Animals in 2015”
- Related Campaigns