Signup for our emails
Aplomado falcon Falco femoralis
ESA status: endangered
Though relatively common in Central and South America, this falcon is endangered in the desert grasslands and savannahs of the American Southwest. WildEarth Guardians fought efforts to strip Endangered Species Act protections for reintroduced populations in New Mexico and West Texas and continue efforts to protect the birds’ habitat from oil & gas development and livestock grazing.
- Significant Actions
- September 2002 - WildEarth Guardians files petition to designate critical habitat for the falcon under the ESA
- February 2004 - WildEarth Guardians challenges oil and gas drilling in Otero and Sierra counties to protect the falcon and other at risk species
- April 2004 - WildEarth Guardians issues Notice of Intent to sue the U.S. Fish and Wildlife’ Service for failure to determine critical habitat for the falcon
- March 2006 - WildEarth Guardians and partners challenge U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services’ failure to determine critical habitat for the falcon
- September, 2006 - WildEarth Guardians challenges the designation of New Mexico and Arizona populations of Aplomado falcon as “experimental, non-essential”
- Press Releases
- February 10, 2003 - “WildEarth Guardians Pushes for Habitat Protection for Endangered Northern Aplomado Falcon”
- February 9, 2004 - “Endangered Species At Risk From Oil Drilling Plans - Impacts on Aplomado Falcon Cited in WildEarth Guardians Challenge of Otero”
- April 12, 2004 - “Aplomado Falcon Habitat Needs Upgraded Protection - Conservation Groups Warn Fish and Wildlife Service to Provide Critical Habit”
- January 3, 2005 - "Protection Sought for Aplomado Falcon Habitat: Fish and Wildlife Service Refuses to Consider Endangered Species Act Petition"
- February 9, 2005 - "Aplomado Falcon Reintroduction Proposal Would Remove Federal Protections: Groups Challenge Designation of Falcons as 'Nonessential'"
- March 27, 2006 - "Protection Sought For Aplomado Falcon Habitat: Oil and Gas a Growing Threat to Rare Raptor"
- July 26, 2006 - "Trojan Horse Reintroduction of Falcons Would Weaken Habitat Protections"
- September 12, 2006 - "Groups Seek Reinstatement Of Key Habitat Protections For Wild Falcons"
- May 21, 2008 - "Federal Judge in N.M. To Consider Legality of Falcon Decision"
- Related Campaigns