A young female wolf, known as 314F, became a recent poison victim. Her killer remains at large.
trekking 1,000 miles from Montana to Colorado, wolf 314F’s life ended
violently. She swallowed Compound 1080, a deadly poison. It was
illegally placed in northwestern Colorado, one of the deadliest areas
on earth for wildlife. Little wolf 314F was found because she sported
a radio collar – unlike most animals killed by poisons, whose bodies go
Our wild landscapes should not be minefields of poison.
1080 causes horrific and excruciating deaths, taking as long as 15
traumatic hours. Death by 1080 involves cardiac failure, respiratory
arrest, and severe prolonged convulsions. Little wolf 314F met with a
cruel end. Compound 1080, manufactured by Tull Chemical of Alabama,
should be banned. It’s too deadly to use.
Protection Agency (EPA) is considering a ban on Compound 1080 and
another even more common wildlife poison, sodium cyanide.
Learn more about Compound 1080, sodium cyanide and DRC-1339 and the impact they are having on our wildlife.
Wolf 341F is shown here under anesthesia after being fitted with her
radio collar. After a 1,000-mile trek to Colorado, she later was found dead after being illegally poisoned.