Signup for our emails
WildEarth Guardians has the current job opening:
Work Level: Full-Time Exempt
Offices in Santa Fe, Denver, Tucson, Missoula, Portland. Denver location preferred, but potentially flexible.
We’re looking for a savvy and creative attorney who is excited to lead our Legal Team and strategize with our Executive Director, Program Directors and Conservation Director. We are an organization of smart and innovative advocates who look forward to partnering with a Legal Director who is similarly passionate about protecting the American West. The Legal Director will manage the 4-attorney Legal Team and maintain an active litigation docket. The Legal Director will also assist in developing legal strategies to protect and restore the wildlife, wild places, wild rivers, and health of the American West. We’re eager to find a Legal Director with gumption who will play a vital role in making our extraordinarily effective organization even better, stronger, and more successful.
- Litigate cases primarily in federal court, but also potentially in state court and at the administrative level
- Manage the 3 staff attorneys in the Legal Team, including reviewing documents for court filing, discussing legal strategies, etc.
- Communicate regularly with outside counsel representing Guardians and maintain and develop relationships with outside counsel
- Evaluate litigation proposals from programs; conduct or assign to staff attorneys factual and legal research as needed in furtherance of such evaluation
- Develop litigation strategies and priorities with the Executive Director, Conservation Director, and Program Directors
- Support litigation in all the four programs as needed.
- Bar membership in at least one western state
- Minimum of 10 years experience in environmental litigation, preferably in the west
- Ability to handle a busy litigation docket
- Solid skills in organization, writing, research, analysis, and oral advocacy
- Passion for protecting the American West
- Capacity to embrace conflict and cooperate without compromising our values
- Emotional maturity
- Willingness to take calculated risks
- Integrity and sense of humor
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Ability and desire to lead, collaborate, and work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds
- Some travel around the United States. Expect flexible work hours, including some weekend and evening hours
Compensation and Benefits:
Guardians offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including full health and dental insurance, retirement benefits, paid vacation, health and family leave, a sabbatical policy, paid holidays, and a fabulous work environment.
Guardians is an equal opportunity employer committed to having a diverse and inclusive staff. Guardians actively works to ensure fair and equal treatment of its employees and constituents regardless of differences based on culture, socioeconomic status, race, marital or family situation, gender, age, ethnicity, religious beliefs, physical ability, or sexual orientation.
By 07/01/2017, please submit applications electronically to: email@example.com
Applications should include, in a single pdf, the following: cover letter; CV; one legal writing sample that is predominantly your work; and contact and relationship information for three professional references. The hiring committee will begin reviewing applications no later than July 1, 2017 and the position will remain open until filled.
Click here to download a PDF copy of this job announcment.