Signup for our emails
WildEarth Guardians has the following job opening:
Application Review Begins: June 1, 2017
We’re looking for someone who’s up for the challenge of leading a team of smart, creative, passionate and hard-working leaders of one of the best environmental organizations around. We love what we do and we need you to help make what we do and who we are even better. The Conservation Director is the strategic heart of WildEarth Guardians and is essential to meeting our mission of protecting and restoring the wildlife, wild places, wild rivers, and health of the American West. The Conservation Director is responsible for overseeing our litigation and conservation programs to ensure campaigns are strategic, synergized, and successfully executed. The Conservation Director is a strategic partner of the Executive Director, supervises and collaborates with our four senior Program Directors and works closely with the Senior Attorney and development and communications staff.
- Oversee, support, design, develop and help implement cutting-edge legal and political strategies for WildEarth Guardians’ priority campaigns.
- Supervise, support, evaluate, and strategize with the four Program Directors.
- Build and maintain close relationships with other environmental organizations, key congressional staff, donors, local communities, citizen activists, and the media.
- Author print and electronic outreach including op-eds, mass emails, social media posting, and blogging.
- Support fundraising efforts for all of the organization’s priority campaigns.
- Support the Executive Director.
Essential qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree in any conservation related field. Advanced degree or equivalent additional experience preferred.
- Passion for protecting environmental and cultural values, and natural heritage of the American West; a demonstrated commitment to conservation advocacy; biocentric.
- Sense of humor.
- A minimum of ten to fifteen years of experience in western lands, water or wildlife litigation and program development. Prefer twenty or more years of experience for this senior/executive level position.
- Demonstrated leadership and management experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability as a strategic thinker who has experience in successfully implementing short and longer term conservation advocacy campaigns.
- Smart worker with integrity and grit.
- Strong organization skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Creative problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Comfort with and enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced campaigning environment, including juggling multiple priorities.
- Ability to lead, collaborate and work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds.
- A healthy sense of outrage.
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Additional desirable qualifications include
- Knowledge of politics, conservation and quality of life issues in the American West.
- Formal training in grassroots organizing and campaigning.
This position is full-time.
Special Job Requirements:
Extensive travel around the West to satellite offices and to Washington, DC. Expect flexible work hours, including some weekend and evening hours.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is competitive and DOE plus vacation, sick leave, health and dental insurance, family leave policy, retirement benefits, sabbatical policy, and exceptional work environment.
Our main offices are located in Santa Fe, Denver, Missoula and
Portland. Our preferred locations for this position are Denver or Santa Fe, but
we will consider exceptional applicants in other western locations.
Send applications to email@example.com. Applications should include cover letter, resume, references, and writing sample in a single pdf. WildEarth Guardians is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to having a diverse and inclusive staff.
Applications will be reviewed by the hiring committee starting on June 1, 2017. The position will remain open and we will continue to take applications until it is filled.
You can download a PDF version of this job notice here.