Signup for our emails
WildEarth Guardians has the following job openings:
Content Writer and Specialist
Work Level: Full-Time Exempt
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
First round of applications close March 24, 2017
Tell me a fact, and I’ll learn. Tell me a truth, and I’ll believe. But tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever. -Ancient Proverb
WildEarth Guardians, a non-profit that protects and restores the wildlife, wild places, wild rivers, and health of the American West, is looking for an inspired digital storyteller, content curator and written word movement starter who loves to engage audiences in diverse ways. We’ll be asking you to write the big stories, tweet the 140-character anecdotes, curate, cultivate and continue conversations, while touching the heart and soul of our growing audience. You’ll partner with our Communications Director and Communications Specialist to plan and deliver big ideas from start to finish—on yearly, monthly, weekly and daily engagement tracks. Additionally, you’ll be the written liaison between WildEarth Guardians and the world, often working directly with our many internal stakeholders to identify and refine connective stories for campaigns while ensuring a very high degree of factual accuracy. Our team is comprised of innovative thought and action leaders, with our work often pushing established boundaries. We need a collaborator with a desire to listen and learn, and work with diverse group of people to be a dynamic digital-first story teller. Experience writing about environmental issues is desired, and tremendously helpful, but that alone is not enough for you to excel in this position. Your passion to protect the wild, and your drive to elevate content above the noisy, digital world is how you excel.
- Create and curate compelling and engaging content, and repurpose content across channels.
- Collaborate with team members to deploy integrated campaigns and stories (social media, email and some print).
- Report and analyze content performance (both qualitative and qualitative insights); opportunity insights are a plus.
- Nurture social media communities through daily monitoring, publishing and engagement.
- Develop relationships with media, editorial and communications outlets and professionals.
- Communicate with a high level of technical precision, yet in an accessible voice and style, to amplify brand and campaign impact across channels.
- Understand and embrace the fact that social media operates outside of traditional business hours often requiring a balance between cuing and reaction depending on the campaign.
- Ability to use online listening, curating, publishing and measurement platforms and tools effectively.
- Proofread, copy edit and fact check, your own and other’s work.
- Repurpose hi-level press releases and research into accessible content.
- Develop content with SEO best practices for tagging, keywords, etc.
- Maintain and develop a digital asset library.
- Participate in other writing projects
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
- Writing, Editing and proofing - AP style, grammar, punctuation, clarity and consistency.
- Experienced using WordPress and employing basic HTML.
- SEO knowledge for content creation; SEM experience a plus.
- Experience with Blackbaud’s Luminate or other large vendor email/action software platform.
- Repurposing content for social media and emails.
- Participation in understanding and driving content strategy.
- Demonstrated writing ability that is inspirational, compelling and accessible for diverse audiences.
- Ability to collaborate to convert and implement strategic communications plans into tactical content outlines and editorial calendars.
- Experience with split testing and the ability to identify content trends is a plus.
- Ability to repurpose scientific, technical and legal program information into consumer-friendly documents and communications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Marketing, Communications or another related area of study.
- Professional experience in a digitally dominant content work environment. Experience with social media, community management, copywriting, editing, email, digital storytelling and mobile and technology solutions.
- Superior writing skills, as well as strong copy editing, proofreading and research skills.
- A self-starter, willing to take initiative and able to manage multiple projects from start to finish while meeting deadlines.
- Impeccable organization and attention to detail.
- Passion for protecting environmental and cultural values, and natural heritage of the American West; a demonstrated commitment to conservation advocacy.
- Desire to challenge the status quo.
- Comfort with and enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced campaign environment, including juggling multiple priorities.
- Great interpersonal and verbal skills, an upbeat, can-do attitude.
- Strong portfolio of impactful content pieces.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace—in life.
- Creative problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is competitive and DOE plus
vacation, sick leave, health and dental insurance, family leave policy,
retirement benefits, sabbatical policy, and exceptional work environment.
Our main offices are located in Santa Fe, Denver, Portland and Missoula but we will consider exceptional applicants in other western locations and situations.
Send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should include (in a single PDF) a cover letter, resume, and any other communication or media tool you feel is necessary to tell us your story. No phone calls, please.
WildEarth Guardians is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive staff.
You can download a PDF version of this job notice here.
2017 Youth Conservation Valles Caldera National Preserve Watershed Project
WHAT, WHEN AND WHERE?
From April 24, 2017 until October, 20 2017, WildEarth Guardians is organizing a forest management Youth Conservation Corps (YCC) program in New Mexico. WildEarth Guardians’ YCC program strives to provide employment and job training for youth interested in a natural resource management career. The program is a combination of training and field work in the Valles Caldera National Preserve. Fieldwork will include planting native trees, fence removal and construction, tree felling, erosion control work, noxious weed removal and other tasks. The WildEarth Guardians YCC program is funded through the New Mexico Youth Conservation Corps Commission.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
WildEarth Guardians invites residents of communities in and around Jemez Pueblo, Zia Pueblo, Los Alamos/White Rock, Tesuque Pueblo, Santa Clara Pueblo, Espanola or Santa Fe, between the ages of 18 and 25 to apply for the YCC program. Applicants must be unemployed at the time of application and a New Mexico resident. WildEarth Guardians will select 8-10 crew members (ages 18-25).
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
The WildEarth Guardians YCC program includes training opportunities throughout the work period in the areas of Forestry, Hydrology, Wildlife Biology and Rangeland sciences. Work projects will require extensive manual labor and may include forestry work, tree-felling, fencing, weed removal and planting native vegetation. Participants will a Forest Workers Safety Certification Course, Chainsaw Certification Course, Faller Training for Sawyers, and learn First Aid and CPR.
WHEN DO YOU NEED TO BE AVAILABLE?
All crew members will be required to be available on the jobsite Monday through Friday, starting on Monday April 24, 2017 through approx. October 20, 2017.
WHAT ABOUT LODGING, FOOD, AND GEAR?
Crew-members will commute daily to jobsite. The following equipment must be provided by the corps member:
- Solid work boots – Preferably Steel Toe
- Long sleeve shirt
- Rain/Snow Gear
- Long pants
- Daily lunch
WHAT DO YOU GET OUT OF IT?
- Hourly wage of $11.50 with an opportunity of a pay increase based on performance
- Training in Restoration Ecology skills that are relevant to a variety of careers
- First Aid and CPR certification
- The ability to work as a team to improve the health and utility of New Mexico’s public lands
HOW TO GET MORE INFORMATION
Contact Jim Matison via e-mail at email@example.com.
HOW DO YOU APPLY?
Applications must be received by WildEarth Guardians no later than April 7, 2017.
Or sent via US Mail to:
Attn: Jim Matison
516 Alto Street
Santa Fe, NM 87501
WHEN DO YOU HEAR BACK FROM US?
We will review all applications and select candidates for interviews by April 10th. We will call you by April 12, 2017 if you are selected for an interview. Interviews will be conducted during the following week at various sites around New Mexico. By April 14, 2017, successful applicants will be invited to participate in the program.